I am constantly seeing posts on various webmaster and marketing forums asking how to drive traffic or gain backlinks for a blog. I find it funny since blogging in my opinion opens so many different doors that would otherwise be closed. The social media, blogging community, marketing community, and many more are willing to be return visitors to your blog if you do it correctly. This blog has only a couple posts so far, starting less than a week ago, yet I have already gotten around 1500 backlinks and well over 1k unique visitors. It isn’t that hard, simply write good content and then find people that are interested in what you have to say and you’ll be on your way to blogging success.
One main point first is that the focus should always be on the content before worrying about how you market it, get links to it, etc. If your content sucks, nobody will care about what you have to say, what you are promoting, or what you do in the future. The better your content, the less leg work you have to put in yourself in getting visitors.
Ways to build links and drive traffic to your blog:
- Create link bait, people love “Top 10″ lists, quirky fact and cultural phenomenon, breaking industry news, etc. Good content is also good link bait!
- Use social media such as Twitter, MyBlogLog, Facebook, etc. to your advantage. Do not abuse the system, just use it as it is designed while marketing yourself.
- Relevant link exchanges with sites within your niche, especially blogroll trades for bloggers as it is seen on every page.
- Comment on DoFollow blogs *cough* You won’t have to look far! If you use your imagination, you might find a PR 7 blog that is very lightly moderated fully dofollow and millions of visits a month, I’ll tell you the answer in 43 days. Type in “dofollow blog search engine” in Google and you will find quite a few nice tools.
- Submit your blog to blog directories and blog aggregating websites such as Technorati (Remember to favorite this post!)
- Submit your blog to good old fashion link directories (yes, they do still work for links, and no, they don’t work as well as 5 years ago).
- Use social bookmarking websites such as StumbleUpon, Digg, Mixx, Sphinn, etc. to bring in big traffic and decent backlinks as many bloggers frequent these sites in search of content to link to.
- Link to other websites! You would be surprised how many people check who is linking to them, and might give them a favorable mention later on. I have found random people linking to me in my Yahoo Site Explorer backlinks before that I have decided to link to for the hell of it.
- Create articles and submit them to article directories such as Ezine Articles, Article Dashboard, iSnare, etc.
- Yahoo! Answers, this is a great way to get some visitors to your site as long as you don’t overtly spam them, the links are nofollow but a steady traffic flow is good for the health of any site.
- Start a contest and post it on popular forums and contest websites, this is a great way to get some interested visitors. Make them work for it a little with comment contests, traffic contests, something creative.
- Create a WordPress theme and distribute it for free, if this doesn’t work pay somebody else to get a Sponser link stuck in the footer.
- Create a WordPress plugin that makes life easier for everyone (akismet anyone?).
- Find “Top Commentator” enabled blogs that will give you sitewide links for quality comments, and decent traffic from my experience. ShoeMoney has this enabled, but this doesn’t mean you should go spam up his blog.
- Be a guest blogger on another blog, many people will be willing to allow other authors to share new insights in exchange for a couple links back to your site.
- Create a press release and distribute it to various PR sites, only do this if you have something that is actually news worthy but if played right it will work great.
- Keep your blog up to date! By having an up to date blog it will make people far more likely to link to your site, and Google will love you for it.
- Create a Squidoo lens to build links and generate traffic (and hopefully earn some cash along the way).
- Use forums to boost your “expert” status while gaining quite a few backlinks, there are countless dofollow forums out there.
- Be creative, piss off a major industry expert such as ShoeMoney or John Chow to get them riled up, or sue a major corporation.
- Get your readers to participate in your site’s expansion, encourage them to use social media and to tell friends and family. If your content is good enough, this will happen automatically!
- Create a good freebie such as an ebook to generate traffic, it will bring in people and if you do it right it will make them stick too.
- Flattery will get you everywhere, if you butter up some webmasters they will give you a link. It never hurts to try….and no it won’t work with me
And now you are well on your way towards building links and gaining huge traffic for your blog. Be creative, don’t be annoying and don’t go down to the level of spamming and you will be in a great position. It is all about building long term visitors, traffic, links, and getting the word out.